November 22, 2011

Extra! Extra!

There is a story about a newspaper writer, at about the turn of the century, who was asked “What would be the most important news the world could receive?” The writer thought and thought about the question, as have I. 
One might think, in this day and age, that bold headlines declaring “Peace in the Middle East!” might be the most important news. Perhaps, it would be excited TV newscasters all shouting fantastic reports of a cure for cancer. Or even the internet filled with announcements about the end of world hunger. Imagine such great news! After contemplating the question, interviewing many people, and reading all he could in an effort to find an answer the writer came to a simple yet profound conclusion.
While traveling, we arrived at a very quiet, modest and humble destination. In the beautiful irony in which the heavens often seem to operate I found the grand and sublime answer for myself to that important question. In the most humble of places occurred the greatest event in the history of the earth.
He is not here: for he is risen.” the angel gently announced the greatest news the world could ever receive.  
As we begin the wonderful Holiday season to celebrate the birth of the Savior I reflect on the message of Gordon B. Hinckley when he said “There would be no Christmas if there had not been Easter. The babe Jesus of Bethlehem would be but another baby without the redeeming Christ of Gethsemane and Calvary, and the triumphant fact of the resurrection.”
And so, that writer a century ago, finally printed his answer “To know that Jesus Christ lives today would be the most important news the world could ever receive.”
How thankful I am for that news! The moment I stepped foot on this sacred ground my spirit was overwhelmed with awe and wonder. Tears filled my eyes. We arrived early on the Sabbath morning before any other tourists had arrived. I sat reverently and quietly at the tomb and tears fell freely as I read of the Savior’s resurrection in each of the four Gospels. 
My spirit, in that moment, felt closer to my Savior.  I, in really, my completely inadequate way, had a very small glimpse of the grand meaning of the Atonement. I cannot comprehend it all. It is so vast in its reach and yet so beautifully personal and intimate. I, unimportant me, felt the Savior by my side, that peaceful morning at the Garden Tomb, in Jerusalem. And I am eternally grateful to know the most important news there is to know in all the world. 

No comments:

Post a Comment